Monday, January 11, 2010

The King Kong In Us

I actually intended to write something about my friend Raymond Lee, a talented musician and a former kaki tambak.

But when I got home from work, I came across the news of Tan Chun Kee who was robbed and stabbed to death in KL. The news made me numb.

It brought me back to 2006 when I too lost my dear friend in the same manner. She was killed 3 days before she could turn 18. She was cremated on what was supposed to be her 18th birthday. That was the darkest hours of my life.

It was with great sadness that I have to read the news of Chun Kee, the latest victim. What evils and hatred that drove these perpetrator to kill their innocent defenseless victim? Where is justice? When will the killing stops? How can I not hate this murderers? These questions are a burden that I carry everyday.

So it was weird, that later tonight my 2 year old daughter forced me and my wife to watch the DVD King Kong by Peter Jackson. During the movie, I could sensed my daughter being touched by King Kong. I could see the sadness in her eyes when King Kong was pounded by bullets after bullets and falling imminently to his death. At the end of movie she immediately gave her mother a hug.

And it struck me that all humans or beasts are born with a love and affinity for life. My daughter has it. King Kong did not lost his. But it seems that many of us has lost it somewhere in the midst of our complex man made society. Until we humans rediscover it, we cannot find a way out from the violence and hatred clouding all over us.

Weird as it seems, that a fictional Hollywood beast can possibly shed some light on our lives. But only if we want it to.



Peace,
Kaki Tambak

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for a very moving post that identifies the root of many problems in Malaysia...

Take care and please blog more often!!!

Warmest wishes

Unknown said...


I love to watch king movie and others 3d movie. Its a most powerful 3d movie and also romantic. I have that movie on my pc.